JJS Fire Supply recommends that every homeowner takes certain precautions to reduce their risk from brush or wildfires. We want to drive home the point of maintaining your defensible space! You should maintain at least 30 feet of defensible space for most homes, or 100 feet for heavily wooded homes. The key is to eliminate as many things as possible that might fuel a fire around your property. This can be anything from a gas container laying around or a pile of landscaping debris on the side of the house. We recommend that you take the following precautions:
- Call 911! Don't assume somebody else already has.
- Evacuate! If you are not able to evacuate, get to a safe place.
- Have a large water supply available, swimming pool or hot-tub.
- Have a Gas Powered Wildfire Pump and Hose System ready to go!
- Have a case of Barricade Fire Gel or 5 gallon bucket of Class A Foam with applicator nozzle on hand at all times
- Use Gas Powered Wildfire Pump and Hose System before evactions are ordered to coat your house to prevent embers from igniting
- Do not try to stay and fight during an active wildfire. Follow Evacation Orders!
- Maintain your irrigation or wildfire sprinkler system.
- Clear roof, gutters, screens of debris.
- Enclose eaves and
- Eliminate fuel sources like dry landscaping, woodpiles.
- Trim taller trees so lowest branch is no less than six feet
from the ground.
- Remove dead leaves and branches from the yard.
- Remove tree branches around the roof and chimney.
- Mow lawn regularly and dispose promptly of cuttings and
- Move firewood and storage tanks 100 feet away from the home.
- Shut off gas from the source.
- Close all shutters and blinds on your house.
- Store flammable liquids properly i.e propane tanks, gas